Developing your English vocabulary

غاردينياغاردينيا Foreign Languages Supervisor
تم تعديل 2010/12/17 في منتدى اللغات Foriegn Languages
كيف تستطيع تكوين ثروة لغوية طائلة ؟ جرب الطرق التالية والتي أعدها مجموعة من المتخصصين

Buy a good English dictionary.

Read as much English as you can. Read anything that interests you, in any format available to you. If you find newspapers or literature difficult, try reading graded readers, which are simplified books.

Select carefully the words or phrases you look up in a dictionary. It's frustrating to look up every word that you don't understand. Only look up those words that you think are important, such as:

- Words or phrases that occur often

- Words or phrases that are essential for understanding a sentence

You can often get the general meaning of the sentence without having to use a dictionary, so save yourself some work!

From the words or phrases that you look up, decide which ones are vital for you to understand and use. For example, words that you need for your job or study, or words that occur often.

Use your English dictionary to get the essential information about these words and phrases (grammar, stress, pronunciation and meaning), then make an effort to practise these words. Write down the new word in a sentence of your own and try to use the word as often as possible, until you are sure that you remember it.

When you look up a new word, make sure you know which words you can use with it. For example, you do a test, but you make an effort.

When you find a new word, check to see if you can use it in other ways. English is a flexible languge - nouns, verbs and adjectives can often be made from each other. For example, to apply for a job, a letter of application, the applicant for the job and so on.

Keep an English vocabulary book

Keep an English vocabulary book with you. You can use it while you are reading, or watching television or a film. You can also refer to it when you have some spare time to help you revise new words and expressions.

Organise your new vocabulary book in ways that will help you to remember. Here are three ideas to get you started:

1 Write an important word in the middle of a page and draw a bubble around it. Then draw lines out from this word connected to smaller bubbles. In the smaller bubbles you can add words associated with the main word.

2 Take a broad subject like sport. Divide your page into three columns. In the left column make a list of as many sports as you can think of. In the middIe column write down all the equipment you need to play the sport. In the final column write down all the words used for scoring. Of course you can use this idea for any subject you like and put in as many columns as you need.

3 Draw a horizontal line across a page and put in all the words you can think of which range from one extreme to another. For example:

freezing > cold > cool > warm > hot > boiling

adore > love > like > don't mind > hate > can't stand
]

التعليقات

• dr.Alidr.Ali مدير عام
    تم تعديل 2010/12/10
    مشكورة كتير غاردينيا على النصائح المفيدة
    بدي أكد على فكرة الفقاعة اللي ذكرتيها ........... كتير بتساعد على ترسيخ المعلومة و بتذكر كانت عنا بمنهاج البكالوريا كانو حاطينها لاستعمالات get............
  • Dr.AhmadDr.Ahmad مدير عام
    تم تعديل 2010/12/10
    يسلموا كتير غاردينيا ... شي مفيد ... الوسائل مفيدة لكن حقيقة في عندي شغلة زاعجتني اني مثلا لما بدي ادرس من مرجع اجنبي بضطر اقرا الفقرة مرتين و ثلاثة لافهما بينما بالعربي ممكن افهما من اول مرة ... هي الشغلة بدا اكيد ممارسة ما هيك ؟؟

ناحية تانية لما كنت عم ترجم موضوع معين كانت تصادفني تعابير بصراحة ما اقدر ترجمها ابدا .. هي عبارة عن مجموعة احرف جر او هي التعابير الصغيرة اللي احيانا بيجي شي عشر وحدات منن ورا بعض وقتا ما بعرف الجملة اساسا شو المقصود منا ....
  • dr.Hazemdr.Hazem مدير عام
    تم تعديل 2010/12/11
    آخ آخ ليش في فضى!!
  • غاردينياغاردينيا Foreign Languages Supervisor
    تم تعديل 2010/12/11
    نورتوا دكاترا .....
    معك حق د.علي فكرة الفقاعات جدا أساسية لتركيز الفكرة بالذهن لأنها بتصنف الأفكار بطريقة صحيحة
    بحب قلك د.أحمد انو ممارسة اللغة هو المفتاح لإتقانها وبحب قلك نصيحتين أنا اتبعتهن وفادوني الأولى انو لما اقرأ أي موضوع جزأ أفكاروا وأكتب على طرف
    الورقة عند نهاية كل فكرة ملخص بسيط للفكرة بس طبعا بالإنكلش والنصيحة التانية هي المرور بشكل يومي على موقع أخباري باللغة الإنكليزية متل ال bbc لو لمجرد عشر دقايق مع الأيام
    بتصير حتى تفكر بالإنكلش وماضروري بالبداية انو توقف عند التفاصيل الصغيرة المهم توصلك الفكرة

أنا مشكلتي حاليا انو بسهولة ممكن اشرح معنى الكلمة بالإنكلش بس بلاقي صعوبة لأعطي مرادفها بالعربي ههههههههههه

مشكور لمرورك د.حازم والله معك حق بس أنا برأيي تنظيم الوقت بحل كتير مشاكل وخاصة انو اللغة بترافقنا كل حياتنا لهيك لازم نبقى على اطلاع دائم معها
  • suzysuzy عضو ذهبي
    تم تعديل 2010/12/12
    يسلمو ايديكي غاردينيا كتير أفكار حلوة
    عجبتني طريقة الكتابة من النقيض الى النقيض كتير بتسرع الفهم و الحفظ
    بتعرفي أنا انكليزيتي مقبولة بس بعاني من الانكليزي الطبي لأنو فيه كتير مصطلحات و أسماء أمراض فيه منها ما أخدناها حتى بالعربي
    و التقصير من المناهج يلي درسناها و أكيد مني لأن متابعتي للموضوع قليلة
    تم تعديل 2010/12/12
    معك حق غادرينيا و متل ما قلتي المفتاح هو المتابعة لكن ... وين الوقت هههه و من ناحية تانية لو جيتي للصراحة ما وين الوقت انما الشغلة قلة مروة ممممم
  • صيدولةصيدولة عضو ذهبي
    تم تعديل 2010/12/12
    موضوع كتير حلو غاردينيا االله يسلم هالايدين وياريت تكتريلنا منن شوي حاكم ما عم نفضى نحنا لهيك نواحي مهمة خاصة باختصاصنا .... انا لغتي يمكن بقدر قول عنها منيحة بس المشكلة بدها ممارسة ع طول .. انو اذا الواحد انقطع فترة بتضعف لغتو شوي خاصة المحادثة ... ذكرتيني بآنسة الانكليزي بالمدرسة هي نصحتنا وقتا انو نتابع الـ bbc وفعلا استفدت كتير ....
    تم تعديل 2010/12/13
    مشكورين على مروركم جميعا ........

وتكرمي لمى المرة الجاية رح خلي الموضوع مزركش بالألوان مشان تنبسطي فيه أكتر ههههههه
  • صيدولةصيدولة عضو ذهبي
    تم تعديل 2010/12/14
    ربي يكرمك غاردينيا .... بعدين ليش شبو موضوعك:whistling:... مين بيسترجي يحكي عليه كلمة ؟؟!!! ... حلو عين الله عليه ...
    وياستي المهم المضمون وبعدين بيجي المظهر الخارجي بالدرجة التانية ... عموما اذا بدك بالمرات الجاية ابعتيلي الموضوع وانا بنسقو وبنزلو :tongue::lol::tongue:
  • najounajou عضو نشيط
    تم تعديل 2010/12/16
    Very interesting and beneficial subject full of fruitful ideas . Though don't you think that there are maybe some visitors… who want to know these ideas and ways… but they could face the difficulty in understanding all… why we don't give translation too…to give the opportunity to all to understand… don't you think so !
    تم تعديل 2010/12/16
    In fact najou, all comments should be in English ...

mabye Gardinia can give best answer for you
    تم تعديل 2010/12/17
    Thank you najou for your participation and comments but I don't agree with you because I think everyone wants to learn and improve his English should work hard and read every thing in English not in Arabic even though he does'nt understand every thing because if I translate it to Arabic most of people will read it in Arabic only
    and by that they will not benefit from it but when I write it in English they will find some difficulties in the first time but later they will be better in english
  • najounajou عضو نشيط
    تم تعديل 2010/12/17
    Ok. I do totally agree with you gardinia but I do not mean english learners but I mean simply the ones who want to understand the pieces of advice and from them there is : try to read in english to improve... So they have to understand then start...

By the way Dr Ahmed you have a good English...
    Sorry... I kow that I have to participate in Arabic...but...
    تم تعديل 2010/12/17
    Thanks najou,
    my English is good in reading not in writing !!! so you can find alot of mistakes